The farming department looks after a small farm of about 20 acres. We have a small flock of 32 breeding ewes producing quality, healthy lambs, which are available for sale from October onwards. We also look after 20 young cattle over the winter, which keeps the students engaged in learning by feeding and bedding the animals and taking care of the animals’ health. In the summer the students get the opportunity to help with Cantraybridge’s social enterprise, ‘Greenfingers’, which works in the community providing a grass-cutting and garden maintenance service.
Here are some examples of the things young people can gain from being in the farming group:
• Students can work towards SVQ Level 1 & Level 2 in Animal Care.
• Opportunity to develop their skills at a pace that suits the individual.
• Visits to other workplaces to learn how others work.
• Opportunity to do work placements with local employers.
• Improve social skills, communication skills, working together as a group.
• Learn about their rights and responsibilities towards others and themselves.
• Opportunity to learn grass cutting and maintenance skills.
• A chance to use their skills in a commercial environment through our social enterprise, Greenfingers.
• Build their self-confidence, self-esteem and life skills to enhance their future prospects and life opportunities.
• A chance to have fun whilst learning.