Team Horti is split into two groups each with their own horticulture specialists who support students in their learning and personal development. As with all the departments, there is a mixture of life skills, combined with vocational learning and emotional support provided through the subject of horticulture. Both groups maintain the grounds at the Square and in the college’s training facilities and some help out with the social enterprise Greenfingers. Here is a flavour of what is on offer by Team Horti.
• Enter local shows (Black Isle Show, Nairn Flower Show, Inverness Flower Show)
• Work on building individuals confidence
• Produce veg for sale to the public and staff, use it to make homemade soup, apple pies etc.
• Learn about team building and helping each other
• Produce plants for sale in the shop and for displays around the college and shows. Taking orders for baskets and containers from the public.
• Maintain a large area with a space for everyone to work inc. a raised bed to grow own produce from start to finish, fruit garden, polytunnel, greenhouse and herbaceous border
• Life skills, promoting independence throughout the learning process
• Making Christmas produce, hyacinths and wreaths for sale to public
• Helping the local community with events such as bulb planting or clearing
• Coming soon…the John Muir Awards